Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Talk is cheap

Late at night, on the floor, fluorescents burning a big hole in my cornea. When I am the boss around here, which is at least once a week, I turn the lights down. I call it "disco style." It makes it hard to read the fine print in front of you sometimes, but it has a calming effect on my coworkers and my "customers," many who are denied wrist watches, so they come out in the middle of the night to check the clock on our wall.


Let's then, talk about Michael Jackson, shall we?


First of all, is it really such a big shock that he is dead? I mean, I was surprised he made it this far. If the constant chipping away at his face didn't ultimately just reduce him to a headless corpse, isn't it possible for someone to just die of weirdness?


I know if this blog had readers, some of them might decide to get all caught up in the blather and criticise me for kicking a man while he is as down as you can get, but since I still await subscribers, I feel pretty comfortable that I am not offending anyone.


I like to flip back and forth from the news all day. Between Anthony Bourdain or the bald guy that eats weird stuff or the motorcycle dullards and see what's going on on MSNBC. Usually there is some sort of political argument about Sarah Palin or Barrack Obama, and there is seldom anyone new, really: Pat Buchanan, Eugene Robinson, et al. But between the arguing, I can usually decide what the major issues of the day are, but to have everyone all lathered up about MJ - c'mon! Reagan didn't get that much coverage and he got way too much coverage!


Slobbery, teary eyed, normally sedate newsblasters acting as if Michael Jackson made the sun rise and set. Ended up there was nothing for me to watch newswise today, although the bald guy was chewing on some beaver intestines and Bordaine was drunk in some foreign country - again.


I was glad that I had DVR'ed "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" so there was something to do on a rainy day while I waited to go to work.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how he went from AM radio pop as a kid, to worldwide chartbuster(still AM radio, though), to recording obscurity for years, and then, in death, suddenly to highly revered musical innovator. People who wouldn't have paid 50 cents for a copy of "Thriller" in the cut-out bin(if there were still record stores) had to go on Amazon by the millions and buy everything he ever laid down. Was it that they forgot he existed until that day? There were so many Facebook postings about how awesome he was, from people who I'm sure hadn't played one song of his in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete