Sunday, July 5, 2009

Lowgiene


I'll admit. I frequent Dunkin' Donuts.
When I didn't work the night shift, I was particular about my coffee. I always thought DD coffee was over-praised.


However, you can't beat the volume of a large DD coffee when you are walking into a 13 hour overnight shift.


This post is about the donuts. First of all, are they really donuts? The franchise is ubiquitous, no doubt about it. But I have had better donuts, fresh, out of the grease, second degree burn glazed donuts. But these Dunkin' Donuts are underwhelming. What's worse, they are no longer made in the back room, rather they are all made somewhere in a central bakery, no doubt in New Jersey - not that there's anything wrong with that. Problem is that they are stale about the time they show up.


Having said all that I am known to select a product called "Chocolate Stick" along with my extra large coffee. The attendant, or the worker, or whatever has been trained to handle the goods in a specific hygienic fashion. They'll take a bag in their left hand, hold it by the corner, swing their arm in a fast arc, forcing it open. With the right hand, they'll carefully pull a square of wax paper out of a box to make a barrier between the worker's hand and the product. The product is carefully maneuvered into the bag and dropped in. Boom. Assuming the product made it to the shelf without direct human contact, it can be argued that the square of wax paper had completed the transaction so that the only hand that ever touches the product, in this case the "Chocolate Stick," is the purchaser, or in this case, mine.


But lately, I have noticed that the wax paper has ended up in the bag. This brings any bugs that may be lurking on the employees hands join the product in the bag.


I'm not like that, really, but - really!



No comments:

Post a Comment