Thursday, February 16, 2012

Have a Seat

Every trip out to Lake Polvo has been a big money eaters. Each time we go out there, we rent a car at the airport which costs more than an airplane ticket. So, last time we were there we bought a used car from our Realtor’s husband. If I told you the maker of the car, you would be extremely impressed, or label me a snob, but no need for that, the car is over twenty years old and has some issues.

For instance: it’s full of sand, there’s no radio, it needs shocks installed, the right, rear window is propped up with a two-by-four, but the biggest issue of all: there’s no front passenger seat.

“You shouldn’t have any trouble getting one,” my Realtor’s husband told me as he folded my check into his wallet.

Once back at Rusty Hinge Road, I quickly located several seats in online junkyards. They were available for almost half what I paid for the whole car.

On EBay, I found one going for cheap and, best of all, it was local!

I met the seller, a charming, ponytailed Englishman in a waxed cotton jacket, at a storage facility a few exits down the turnpike. He knew a lot about my car, and as we loaded the seat into my truck, he told me a million problems inherent to my year, make and model, stating if “thus and such” was wrong then the car was ready for “the dustbin.”

For the moment, that was the least of my worries.

I had to find an affordable way to get a 70-pound car seat out to Lake Polvo. My new “mate” told me the best and cheapest way was to ship it via a large and well-known bus company, named after a popular racing dog.

I contacted the bus line and after fighting through undulating piles of debris in our garage, I wrestled it into a $15 box I bought at a large and well-know truck rental service, then drove it a few exits up the turnpike and bought my seat a seat.

My gardener is prepared to retrieve the unwieldy box at a Chevron Station 45-miles away from downtown Lake Polvo, when and if it arrives.

Tune in next month for more.

Now available in 400 words!

No comments:

Post a Comment